In class it was discussed that perhaps Dorine or Cleante is the wisest or smartest of the characters in Tartouffe. I have a tendency to believe that the most intelligent of characters in Tartouffe is none other that Tartuffe himself.
While Dorine is clearly wise, and sees through all pretenses of Tartouffe's. Clearly, she has all her wits about her, and regularly seems smarter than those around her. "You see him as a saint. I'm far less awed; In fact, I see right through him. He's a Fraud."
Cleante spends most of his time telling Orgon how wrong he is. He is right about so many things - it would be near impossible to list them all. Even Orgon recognizes his wisdom "I see dear brother, that you're profoundly wise..."
Tartuffe however, even in opposition to these intelligent folk, is somehow able to best the entire family, in what I would deem a battle of wits. His superiority is in his ability to see the weaknesses of each individual and then exploit these weaknesses for his gain. He isn't a hypocrite in the way I think of one - someone who knows the truth and speaks it but has a hard time following through. He is a person who deliberately does the wrong thing for self gain. In the end, if it wasn't for the Kings interference, Tartuffe would have pulled off yet another beautiful heist.
No comments:
Post a Comment