My feelings of surprise mainly come from the extremely unlikely events that occur around our main character, but also of his involvement in so many unfortunate events. Not only is it unlikely that he would be around so many events, it is also unlikely that he would survive so many events. I suppose at some level the reader is expected to suspend their disbelief - at another level the writer of the play does not expect that you will. Voltaire knows how unlikely these events are, and knows that the reader knows too. It still surprises me though, that entertainment has changed as little as it has. This kind of egregious misrepresentation of reality still occurs, mainly in modern comedy. It reminds me of a cartoon, in fact, I propose that Candide be rewritten as a cartoon, perhaps starring bugs bunny.
My feelings of humor come from the sheer contradiction that is create within the ideas of optimism and tragedy. I know that this is one aspect of the satirical work, but I normally recognize these elements of satire without genuinely thinking they are funny. I actually laughed out loud when reading the end of chapter 6. "My son, be of good cheer and follow me." The juxtaposition of horrendous feelings of sorrow and tragedy clashing against enthusiastic optimism and joy is literally laughable.
My horror comes from the events themselves. In the first ten chapters of this story, Voltaire introduces, war, rape, false accusations, drowning, hanging, multiple earth quakes of apparently great caliber, fire, looting, disembowelment, and murder (take note, an incomplete list). These events are not to be taken lightly. While these events are meant to be satirical, the enormity of their weight also should not be lost upon the reader. While it is supposed to be humorous, and surprising, Candide is also meant to be taken seriously. The "vices" that Voltaire is attempting to point out with his satire are hiding behind these interesting and challenging literary techniques.
As we move through the story more, I hope that surprise, humor, and horror continue to be motifs for Candide. I am excited to learn where Candide travels, and what awful things are coming to him - I also am excited to see how his optimism either continues to serve him poorly, or comes through in the end.
No comments:
Post a Comment